Mastering risk evaluation and optimal risk management in information security based on ISO 27005 with the OCTAVE method
Next GUARANTEED DATES 18-Dec-2017, Lisboa Register now 19-Feb-2018, Lisboa Register now
course evaluation 4.8 in 5
This course is available to be delivered in a classroom and Live-Training model.
Live Training brings you the dynamic environment of the classroom, to your desk. Using your computer, you interact with the trainer and the trainees as if you were with them in the classroom.
In this five-day intensive course participants develop the competence to master the basic risk management elements related to all assets of relevance for information security using the ISO/IEC 27005:2011 standard as a reference framework and OCTAVE method. The OCTAVE method (including OCTAVE-S and OCTAVE Allegro) was developed by the CERT. Based on practical exercises and case studies, participants acquire the necessary knowledge and skills needed to perform an optimal information security risk assessment and manage risks in time by being familiar with their life cycle. This training fits perfectly in the framework of an ISO/IEC 27001:2005 standard implementation process.
This training is based on both theory and practice:
- Sessions of lectures illustrated with examples based on real cases;
- Practical exercises based on case studies including role playing and oral presentations;
- Review exercises to assist the exam preparation;
- Practice test similar to the certification exam.
To benefit from the practical exercises, the number of training participants is limited
- Risk managers
- Persons responsible for information security or conformity within an organization
- Member of the information security team
- IT consultants
- Staff implementing or seeking to comply with ISO 27001 and involved in a risk management program based upon the OCTAVE method
A basic knowledge of risk management is recommended
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- understand the concepts, approaches, methods and techniques allowing an effective risk management according to ISO 27005
- interpret the requirements of ISO 27001 on information security risk management
- develop the necessary skills to conduct a risk assessment with the OCTAVE method (including OCTAVE-S and OCTAVE Allegro)
- master the steps to conduct a risk assessment with the OCTAVE method
- understand the relationship between the information security risk management, the security controls and the compliance with the requirements of different stakeholders of an organization
- acquire the competence to implement, maintain and manage an ongoing information security risk management program according to ISO 27005
To acquire the competence to effectively advise organizations on the best practices in information security risk management.
- Introduction, risk management program according to ISO 27005
Risk identification and assessment, risk evaluation, treatment, acceptance, communication and surveillance according to ISO 27005
- Concepts and definitions related to risk management
- Risk management standards, frameworks and methodologies
- Implementation of an information security risk management program
- Understanding an organization and its context
Certified ISO 27005Risk Manager Exam (2 hours)
Start of a risk assessment with OCTAVE
- Risk identification
- Risk analysis and risk evaluation
- Risk assessment with a quantitative method
- Risk treatment
- Risk acceptance and residual risk management
- Information Security Risk Communication and Consultation
- Risk monitoring and review
Assessment of vulnerabilities and risk, according to OCTAVE
- Presentation of OCTAVE
- Phase 1 - Process 1 to 3 (Understanding the Organization)
- Phase 1 - Process 4 (Create threat profiles)
- Phase 2 - Process 5 (Identification of key components)
The OCTAVE Method Implementation approach and conclusion
- Phase 2 - Process 5 (Continued)
- Phase 2 - Process 6 (Evaluation of selected components)
- Phase 3 - Process 7 (Conducting the risk assessment)
- Phase 3 - Process 8 (Development of a Protection Strategy)
- Phase 3 – Process 8 (Development of a Protection Strategy – cont.)
- The OCTAVE Method Implementation Guide
- OCTAVE – S
- OCTAVE Allegro
- The Certified ISO/IEC 27005 Risk Manager exam covers the following competence domains:
- Domain 1: Fundamental concepts, approaches, methods and techniques of information security risk management
- Domain 2: Implementation of an information security risk management program
- Domain 3: Information security risk assessment based on ISO 27005
- The Certified ISO/IEC 27005 Risk Manager is available in different languages
- Duration: 3 hours
- The exam result is sent via email to the candidate within eight weeks after the examination, being the exam result graduated in qualitative note: "Pass or Fail".
- In the case of a failure, the result will be accompanied with the list of domains in which you had a mark lower than the passing grade.
CertificationAfter successfully completing the ISO/IEC 27005 Risk Manager exam, participants can apply for the credentials: "Certified ISO/IEC 27005 Provisional Risk Manager" or Certified ISO/IEC 27005 Risk Manager", depending on their level of experience.A certificate will be issued to participants who successfully pass the exam and comply with all the other requirements related to the selected credential.
ISO 27005 Risk Manager is a certification program aligned with ISO 17024 standard.
Requirements for “Risk Manager” certifications:
|Certification||Exam||Professional experience||Risk assessment experience|
|Certified ISO 27005 Provisional Risk Manager||Certified ISO 27005 Risk Manager Exam||None||None|
|Certified ISO 27005 Risk Manager||Certified ISO 27005 Risk Manager Exam||2 years1 year of risk management related work experience||Risk management activities totaling 200 hours|
Our specialists are renowned consultants and auditors, with several years of experience in the areas of implementation, auditing and training in family ISO 27000, with particular focus on standards ISO 27001, ISO 27005, their associated standards and risk management methodologies, such as OCTAVE.
Some of our experts work directly in the improvement of these standards through its participation in the committees responsible for these standards in various countries.
- Training in Portuguese or English language.
- Course manual in English, containing over 450 pages of information and practical examples.
- A copy of the official documentation on OCTAVE published by CERT (including OCTAVE-S and OCTAVE Allegro) will be distributed to participants
- Behaviour Participation Certificate of 35 CPD (Continuing Professional Development) credits.
- Certification Exam.
- Certification Diploma after successful examination and formal process registration. This process has no associated cost.<(li>
- Coffee break in the morning and afternoon (Applies to all training that take place in Behaviour facilities)
- ISO 27005 standard is a guidance and a support to information security risk management.
- ISO 27005 is not a certifiable standard for an organization, however, this standard was designed to assist the satisfactory implementation of information security based on a risk management approach, in order to enable organizations to manage risks that could compromise the organization's information security.
- ISO 27005 Risk Manager course bases its pedagogical model in a certification program aligned with ISO 17024 standard, which defines the requirements for certification of people, fulfilling the recommendations of ISO.
- ISO 27005 Risk Manager with OCTAVE course is oriented towards to master the basic risk management elements related to all assets of relevance for information security using the ISO 27005 standard as a reference framework. Thus, throughout the course, in addition to the basic concepts, referenced is made to perform an optimal information security risk assessment and manage risks in time by being familiar with their life cycle. This training fits perfectly in the framework of an ISO/IEC 27001:2005 standard implementation process.
- Certification exam is monitored by an official administrator.
- ISO 27005 Risk Manager certification exam is conducted at the end of the course, on the last day of training, which focuses on development questions and case studies allowing the certifying entity to measure, more effectively, the knowledge of the candidates.
- Upon success in the exam, professional will achieve one of the ISO 27005 certifications levels. In case of failure, professional may repeat the exam at no additional cost, within 1 year after the date of the 1st examination.
- Behaviour Pedagogical Model aims to provide a learning environment conducive to acquisition of competences, in accordance with objectives of each training program. Promoting interaction, participation and appreciation of experiences, we contribute to meaningful learning, certification and international recognition but, above all to the development of critical thinking and autonomy.
- Behaviour is an organization accredited by DGERT (Portuguese Government Entity) and certified on ISO 9001. Behaviour has its Quality Management System (QMS) implemented in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9001, the requirements of DGERT, the requirements of the European standard NP 4512 and the standard ISO 10015.
Dates and Price
Guaranteed Dates Program
All dates of this course are guaranteed.
At Behaviour, all courses take place regardless of the number of trainees on each course. The concept of setting up classes does not exist in our educational model, which is why all public dates, presented on the website, are guaranteed. So if you're in Portugal or anywhere else in the world, you can prepare your week or your trip, as long as you ensure your registration in the course.
For companies, Behaviour offer discounts, between 10% and 40% of the value of training, starting from the registration of the 2nd participant, in the same course and on the same date.
Simulate the prices for the number of participants you want to register to email@example.com
or contact us via chat.
Hotels and Useful Information
Know where you can stay in Lisbon, near Behaviour. For more information please see >> Booking <<